A crown of shiny, lustrous hair is a head turner anywhere. Such people have a natural confidence about them and it shines through in everything they do.
Looking after your hair is as important is taking care of the rest of your body. Healthy hair is a sign of a healthy body too. However, natural aging can cause hair loss in most people, particularly men. But premature balding or hair thinning can result from a variety of factors. And these need to be checked and kept at bay in order to protect and preserve your hair. People with healthy hair too need to pay regular attention to their tresses, so that its maintained properly.
Hair growth supplements take care of a variety of issues related to hair loss or rather poor hair growth.
What are Hair Growth Supplements?
Briefly put, orally ingested tablets, which contain a combination of herbs, minerals and natural extracts, are called supplements. They are meant to compliment ones daily dietary requirements of minerals and vitamins.
Hair growth supplements are similar but are meant specifically to aid hair growth. Supplements which are rich in Vitamin A, B,C, D and E ,folic acid, Iron, Zinc or Copper are ideal for reducing hair loss and improving hair growth.
Most of these vitamins are present in our daily diet. However, with changing lifestyles and the impact of fast food, most people need to take supplements on a daily basis to ensure they meet the nutritional needs of the body.
Below mentioned are some of the common hair growth supplements one can take:-
- Biotin This is a type of Vitamin B-complex. It readily dissolves in water and is usually absorbed into the system from the food consumed. Biotin is available in small quantities in foods like cheese, beef, eggs, chicken. It improves the metabolism rate in the body and is excellent in maintaining healthy hair and nails.
- Saw Palmetto Dihydrotestosterone or DHT is a hormone that can cause balding. Saw palmetto is a herb which prevents conversion of testosterone into DHT by blocking the enzyme responsible for this action.
- Zinc A lack of zinc in the body causes the hair follicles to become weak. This results in regular hair breakage. Intake of zinc helps in cell rebuilding, hence aiding in increasing hair growth.
- Vitamins A, B, C, D and E These vitamins are essential to boost the immunity system, produce healthy cells, allow for proper formation of red blood cells, promote the formation of collagen ( a component in the structure of hair), and help in the absorption of minerals and other vitamins consumed from the food. Vitamin E supplement can also be applied externally by massaging it into the scalp. All these vitamins help increase new hair growth and keep the hair shiny and strong.
- Amino acids Amino acids assist hair follicles to produce healthy hair fibre. Among the amino acids, cysteine is the most essential for healthy hair growth.
- Green Tea - Green tea contains catechins. These are said to block the enzyme which converts testosterone to DHT. Its action is similar to saw palmetto.
Hair growth supplements if taken regularly can give you healthy, shiny hair naturally and safely. However, these supplements ideally have to be taken over a long period of time in order to take effect in most cases at least for 3-6 months. Also, if you are currently under medication for any health condition, it is best to start taking these supplements only under the doctors advice.